Supported Browsers and Operating Systems
After upgrade to Blackboard Learn 9.1 Q2 2018 CU10 (June 2019)
Supported Desktop Browsers
Supported Desktop* Browser Versions
|Internet Explorer1,2||11+ (Windows only) — will no longer be supported by JHU|
|Safari1||9+ (Mac OS only)|
1. WebRTC isn’t presently supported on these browsers, so the Create Recording feature will not work on these browsers. Both Microsoft and Apple have expressed they intend to support this standard in the future, in both Edge and Safari, respectively. These browsers can play back recordings created by the feature without issue.
2. MSIE 11 will no longer be supported by JHU. Microsoft ended active development for Internet Explorer in January 2016. Over time, we have found more features of Learn no longer work properly with IE11 and Blackboard will not resolve issues specific to IE11. We recommend an alternate browser, e.g. Chrome, Edge, Firefox.
3. Google Chrome versions 42+, Mozilla Firefox versions 52+, and Microsoft Edge don’t support NPAPI-type plug-ins, including Java plug-ins and many media browser plug-ins. Blackboard doesn’t support these browsers for using embedded media types that require third-party NPAPI plug-ins for viewing.
Supported Mobile Browsers
Mobile Browser Versions
Learn 2016 Theme
|Safari||With iOS 7+||Compatible**|
** Modern mobile browsers are generally considered compatible when using the Learn 2016 system theme and user-added materials are mobile-compatible. Not all tools and workflows have been optimized for mobile use. Issues reported for tools that aren’t yet optimized for mobile devices may be considered an enhancement request.
Blackboard App, Blackboard Instructor, and Bb Grader are supported native apps for mobile and tablet devices that interact with Blackboard Learn 9.1 servers. These apps may have their own device requirements.
When using a screen reader, use Firefox® and JAWS® on Windows® and use Safari® and VoiceOver on a Mac® . Visit Accessibility to learn more about Blackboard’s approach to accessible software.
Java and other browser plugins
A handful of features in Blackboard Learn require particular additional software to be installed. Without these, the features themselves do not function. The following Blackboard Learn features have plugin requirements:
- Multiple file uploads in Course Files and Content Collection requires the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) from Oracle enabled as a browser plugin. The single file upload tool does not have this requirement. The upload applet is signed by Blackboard and includes a timestamping authority that allows the applet to run even after the certificate has expired.
- The Meeting Room and Blackboard Collaborate synchronous communication features (note: JHU does not license Collaborate)
JRE versions 7 and 8 are the recommended versions for features that depend on it. JRE version 6 may work, but could result in unexpected behavior. Oracle has acknowledged some security issues with JRE version 6.
Blackboard Learn does not require any other browser plugins
- Internet Explorer is only supported in Standards Mode.
Technologies NOT supported
- Windows XP
- Windows, Mac OS, and Linux systems not running a supported browser
- Internet Explorer (versions no longer supported by Microsoft)
- Firefox versions 47 and lower on desktop; all Firefox versions on mobile devices
- Chrome versions 48 and lower (version 34 and lower on mobile devices)
- Safari versions 8 and lower
- JRE 5 for Blackboard Learn Original user interfaces