Blackboard What Is New - 9.1 SP10 and SP11
We will soon be upgrading to the latest version of Blackboard Learn™, Service Pack 10 and 11, which will provide a more user friendly and modern experience for you as a daily user of the system.
Many existing features have been improved and some exciting new features added to make your day more efficient. Here is an overview of tools that you can expect to be using soon:
- New Content Editor: The content editor, also known as the ‘visual editor’ or ‘html editor,’ has also been completely redesigned. There are now more text editing options, as well as more built-in support for copying and pasting from Microsoft Word. Blackboard has also replaced the old math editor with a new equation editor.
- New Calendar: One of the most anticipated upgrades is the redesign of the calendar tool. Users will notice several improvements, such as automatically posting due dates of items with a due date (tests, assignments, etc.), the option to create recurrent events, and the ability to subscribe to Blackboard calendar events from an external calendar.
- Discussion Board Improvements: When expanding a thread, the discussion board now displays all posts from that thread on one page, something many instructors have repeatedly requested. There is also a new feature known as ‘post first,’ which requires students to post a response to a thread before they can view any other responses; this is designed to cut down on students copying/repeating what others’ have already posted.
- Assessment Item Analysis: This new feature provides instructors with detailed statistics about how students answered individual test questions. Some of the captured data include: a numeric breakdown of the number of times a specific answer was selected, the average score for each question, and the level of difficulty of each question, which is based on the percentage of students who answered the question correctly. This feature is designed to help instructors identify questions that may need revision in order to better evaluate student knowledge
- My Blackboard: This feature introduces a completely new, modern user experience in Blackboard Learn that consolidates critical information from all your Courses and Organizations. The new tools in My Blackboard – Calendar, Posts, and Updates – were developed to meet the needs of today’s active learner and enhance student engagement.
- New Global Navigation Menu: Always present in the top right corner, the new navigation menu is the entry point to My Blackboard and also provides one-click access to your Courses, Organizations, Settings, and Blackboard Help. Additionally, the new menu will tell you how many items in My Blackboard are new or need your attention, so you never miss a thing.
- Fill in the Blank Questions: The ‘fill-in-the-blank’ and ‘fill-in-multiple-blanks’ test questions have been enhanced to better accommodate variations in student responses. Instructors will be able to use the ‘contains,’ and ‘pattern match’ options to cut down on the number of possible answers they have to type in to the interface. There is also now the option to mark answers as ‘case-sensitive.’