My Blackboard, Content Editor, Calendar, and Discussions
My Blackboard aggregates information from across the Blackboard Learn system for users. Users can access My Blackboard using the new Global Navigation menu at the top of the screen.
My Blackboard has a navigation panel that quickly connects to different tools in the system. The tools you have access to depend on whether the cloud is turned on. The following features are available in My Blackboard with Service Pack 10 and later:
- My Blackboard Posts: Aggregates posts and comments from blogs, journals, wikis, and discussion boards in courses (and organizations for clients who license Community).
- My Blackboard Updates: Aggregates all notifications that users have elected to receive.
- My Blackboard Grades: Displays recent grades for all courses users are enrolled in.
Note: we currently have not implemented the social features of My Blackboard.
My Blackboard Tools
|Bb Home: The Bb Home gives you an overview of the items that are due and have recently been graded. Move your cursor over View to reveal your grade. The Bb Home displays the five most recent activities relevant to you.|
|My Calendar: Review everything you have due and be reminded of when you need to complete it. To learn more, see Calendar.|
|Posts: This page displays the latest posts in the courses and organizations you are enrolled in and follow. For example, you can see when a classmate submits a blog post in your course.|
|Updates: Review a list of notifications alerting you to important events and information. For example, you can see when an assignment has been graded.|
|My Grades: View your grades for each assignment, test, or activity in all of your courses. Sort the grades by date or course.|
|Help: Go to Behind the Blackboard for manuals, tutorials and more.|
To learn more about the New Content Editor, see Using the Content Editor
- When accessed from My Blackboard or the Tools menu on the My Institution tab, the calendar displays a consolidated view of all institution, course, organization, and personal calendar events for a user. Calendar events are color coded to indicate which place they belong.
- When accessed from a course, instructors and students see the course calendar from the course menu on the Tools page. Instructors can use the calendar course tool as a primary way of managing and communicating the schedule of events and assignments in the course. Calendar supports due dates, if set, for gradable items. Clicking on calendar items allows an instructor to view or edit the item, or grade attempts on the associated item.
- Students can use filtering options to selectively view only course level items. They can then click on an item to view item details, and if supported, create an attempt against the item.
To learn more about the new Calendar features, see Calendar.
Discussions has been given a much needed redesign. Here are some of the updates:
- Thread Detail page redesign – a new look was achieved while maintaining existing functionality.
- All posts on one page – all of the posts in a thread are now visible at the same time on one page.
- Instructor highlighting – posts made by forum managers and moderators now contain the user’s course role and forum role.
- Inline replies – when replying to a post, the content editor used to write a response appears on the same page, in the context of the discussion.
- Post First Discussions setting- this setting allows instructors to require students to post to a discussion before seeing other students’ posts.
To learn more about the new Discussion features, see Discussion Board Updates.