JHU’s Microsoft Team Site
For general information see MS Teams at JHU
Request Microsoft Teams for a SIS Section
- School Registrar or other designated representative checks the MS Teams Usage section misc field
- After our SIS to MS Teams process runs, the instructor can log into teams.microsoft.com, and should see a Class Team for that section (e.g., EN.675.700.81.FA19)
- The instructor will then click the Activate button for the team.
- Notifications will be sent to other Team members (in the O365 group) when the instructor has activated the team space.
- From: Microsoft Teams <email@example.com>
- Subject: You have been added to a class team in Microsoft Teams
JHU’s SIS to MS Teams process creates a Class Team.
More info on team types can be found at https://support.office.com/en-us/article/choose-a-team-type-to-collaborate-in-microsoft-teams-0a971053-d640-4555-9fd7-f785c2b99e67.
- Owners (also known as Teachers)
- Instructor(s) will be Team Owner(s)
- They will be able to manage the Teams; a Team will only be created once the Teacher opts-in
- This will add the other members (co-Teachers, Students) to the Team
- Owners can add additional Student(s) or Teacher(s) manually
- Owners can change the name of the Team
- Owners can archive (and unarchive) their Teams (at the end of their term).
- Note: each Team MUST have at least one Owner; the SIS to MS Teams process will fail otherwise
- Students will be the typical Team Members
- Owners can invite someone outside the organization into Microsoft Teams
- Guests can either be Students or Teachers in a Class Team
Additional info on team roles can be found at https://support.office.com/en-us/article/team-owner-member-and-guest-capabilities-in-teams-d03fdf5b-1a6e-48e4-8e07-b13e1350ec7b.
JHU’s SIS to MS Teams process will do the following:
- Add students and instructors from selected SIS sections as members of an O365 group
- Instructors will automatically be added as owners
- If enrollment changes (add/drop), it should be reflected in the group membership
Class Team Archiving (WORK IN PROGRESS)
What does Archived mean?
How do I find my Archived teams?
- Select Teams on the left to see the list of your teams.
- At the bottom of the list, select Manage .
- The Archived Teams will appear in the Archived list
- Owners will get notified JHU will archive an older term.
JHU/Enterprise Policy on Teams
Regardless of how the Team is created, all groups (including Class Teams) are set to expire one year after creation. Owners will get notified 30 days (?) prior with an action to renew the team. This helps JHU determine which Teams are still active or which can be deleted/removed.