JHU’s Microsoft Team Site
For general information see MS Teams at JHU
Request Microsoft Teams for a SIS Section
- School Registrar or other designated representative checks the MS Teams Usage section misc field
- After our SIS to MS Teams process runs, the instructor can log into teams.microsoft.com, and should see a Class Team for that section (e.g., EN.675.700.81.FA19)
- The instructor will then click the Activate button for the team.
- Notifications will be sent to other Team members (in the O365 group) when the instructor has activated the team space.
- From: Microsoft Teams <email@example.com>
- Subject: You have been added to a class team in Microsoft Teams
JHU’s SIS to MS Teams process creates a Class Team.
More info on team types can be found at https://support.office.com/en-us/article/choose-a-team-type-to-collaborate-in-microsoft-teams-0a971053-d640-4555-9fd7-f785c2b99e67.
- Owners (also known as Teachers)
- Instructor(s) will be Team Owner(s)
- They will be able to manage the Teams; a Team will only be created once the Teacher opts-in
- This will add the other members (co-Teachers, Students) to the Team
- Owners can add additional Student(s) or Teacher(s) manually
- Owners can change the name of the Team
- Owners can archive (and unarchive) their Teams (at the end of their term).
- Note: each Team MUST have at least one Owner; the SIS to MS Teams process will fail otherwise
- Students will be the typical Team Members
- Owners can invite someone outside the organization into Microsoft Teams
- Guests can either be Students or Teachers in a Class Team
Additional info on team roles can be found at https://support.office.com/en-us/article/team-owner-member-and-guest-capabilities-in-teams-d03fdf5b-1a6e-48e4-8e07-b13e1350ec7b.
JHU’s SIS to MS Teams process will do the following:
- Add students and instructors from selected SIS sections as members of an O365 group
- Instructors will automatically be added as owners
- If enrollment changes (add/drop), it should be reflected in the group membership
Team Expiration/Archiving (WORK IN PROGRESS)
There are three cleanup actions we can “manually” do:
- Expire – renames the Team with “Expmmyy_”, e.g, Exp1119_EN.595.660.61.SU19
- Archive – The conversations and files within the Teams become read-only once archived. You’ll still be able to search and read through the stuff you need — you can even keep it as a favorite. Once a Class Team is Archived, the teacher can still go into Teams and restore it as needed.
- Remove students
Possible JHU MS Teams policy? Expire and/or Archive teams one year after they are created.
- Owners will get notified via email (from Microsoft Online Services Team <firstname.lastname@example.org>)
- Two weeks before the team is set to expire
- Subject: “Action Required: Renew EN.675.600.85.FA19 by February 29, 2020”
- Owner(s) have the ability to “Renew group”
- More information: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/renew-a-team-20a9f69d-f336-42bc-8665-c8860a58f716
- When the team is deleted
- Subject: “Attention: EN.675.600.85.FA19 was deleted. Restore it by March 19, 2020”
- Owner(s) have the ability to “Restore group”