- What is VoiceThread
- Computer Requirements
- Setting up your Microphone
- Logging into VoiceThread
- Mobile App
- Account Types
- VoiceThread Use in Canvas
Data Cleanup Policy
Starting on July 1, 2022 VoiceThread will be implementing a data clean-up policy that might result in some inactive accounts being deleted. The following policies will apply to users under your license:
- Account has never been accessed: Will be deleted 1 year after it was created.
- Account has been accessed but no content has been created: Will be deleted after 1 year of inactivity.
- Account owner has created content: Will be deleted after 2 years of inactivity. The owner of the account will be notified by email 30 days in advance so they can take action if they would like. If someone wants to ensure their account is not deleted automatically, all they need to do is sign in at least once per year.
What is VoiceThread?
VoiceThread is web-based presentation software that allows users to create and share interactive multimedia slideshows. VoiceThread presentations are used to showcase audio, video, images, and documents while allowing users to comment on them in a variety of different ways. The result is a digital conversation that can be easily shared with individuals, groups, and/or embedded into different websites, including Canvas, the learning management system used here at Johns Hopkins.
Johns Hopkins has licensed VoiceThread to gives us the following features:
- authentication with our Johns Hopkins Enterprise Authentication
- integration with Student Information Systems enrollments
- integration with Canvas
- ‘Basic’ accounts for JHU affiliates
- a certain number of ‘Pro’ accounts
- ability to create Groups
- ability to share securely
- unlimited number of VoiceThreads
- ability to upload audio files as comments
- more storage capacity
- Educause – 7 Things You Should Know About VoiceThread
- VoiceThread Known Issues
- VoiceThread Use in Canvas
- Browser – must accept cookies
- Microphone – optional, but highly suggested
- Webcam – optional
Setting up your Microphone
If you intend to use the audio commenting feature, you will need a working microphone. To do this, we highly suggest you use a USB headset microphone. If you have ever participated in a LiveTalk or Adobe Connect session, the same mic can be used. You can also use the microphone that is built in to your computer. Please see the following linked instructions to set up a microphone on your Mac or PC.
Logging into VoiceThread
There are two main ways to access JHU’s VoiceThread
- Canvas instructors: you can use the Adding a VoiceThread Presentation to Canvas steps and that will just add a link in your Canvas course for students
- Others: Sign In to jhu.voicethread.com with your JHED credentials.
If you already have a free VoiceThread account outside of JHU, you may see a notification that you need to merge your old account into the new JHU account. Simply enter your email address to continue. You will then be directed to the VoiceThread home page, where you should see any VoiceThreads you previously created or subscribed to.
VoiceThread Account Verification
- If you have previously logged into jhu.voicethread.com AND you have started using the VoiceThread tool within Canvas, you may initially get prompted for VoiceThread Account Verification.
- See VoiceThread Known Issues.
- VoiceThread Mobile (v4.0 or later) Login: see VoiceThread Mobile (v4.0 or later) Login.
- VoiceThread Mobile (pre-v4.0) Login: see VoiceThread Mobile (pre-v4.0) Login.
- Getting Started and Creating VoiceThreads – Faculty and Student Guide
- How to create a group in VoiceThread
What’s the difference between Basic and Pro Accounts?
By default, anyone who can log into jhu.voicethread.com will get a Basic account. Instructors will want to get upgraded to a Pro account.
|Number of VoiceThreads||50||Unlimited|
|Upload audio files as comments||Yes||Yes|
|Slides per VoiceThread||500||500|
How do I get a Pro account?
Instructors can contact email@example.com to request to have their VoiceThread accounts upgraded to Pro.